Regardless of what the calendar or the thermometer says, or how far ahead I “should” be planning in my sewing, there’s still lots of use for fuzzy jammies in my world. Even in the summer, I get “cold in my bones” and find that wearing warm items helps keep me mobile – particularly when I’m asleep.
The fabric for this set was a Christmas present from my Mom and Dad. To explain, every year, they send me money to pick something up for The Ogre and myself. The rule is that there MUST be something from them under the tree. (This is NOT a cop-out on my parents’ part. Purchasing something local and shipping it is far, far too expensive. And, with the undependability of Canada Post, there’s the realistic expectation of late delivery or, even worse, lost items! Some years Mom has told me EXACTLY what she wants me to have… other years, she leaves it to my discretion!) This year, The Ogre got a wonderful pair of suede slippers, and I got do-it-yourself jammies. The Ogre joked that his slippers were ready made because no-one trusts him to make anything himself!
Shortly before Christmas, I found these fabrics at Fabricland – on sale for $4 and $5 per metre. They’re a lovely polar fleece, and I picked up enough of the lime with periwinkle and royal snowflakes to make a pair of bottoms as well as a top (I hope!). The beautiful blue that matches PERFECTLY was obviously destined to go home with me to make a robe (as I have a large wardrobe void in that area as well!).
Originally, I had planned to get this set sewn up during my Christmas sewcation and wear them on New Year’s Day. Other projects pushed them to the back burner, and it’s only now that I’m getting to them!
I used my tweaked Simplicity 7034 (here and here) to make the top of this pattern. In fact, this was the first piece I did after doing all of the patterning for forward shoulders, fba and swayback. In other words, this is a test run of my tweaks, but in a slightly “less pressure” garment. As long as this fits halfway well, I’m good with it. It’s a jammie top, not career wear! With pajamas, the dart placement will be all wrong anyway – since I have no intention of ever wearing it with the bra I used for fitting the original top.
After I had the front cut out and marked, I hand-sewed the darts. I really like hand sewing in the first place and, in the second place, I started this piece when I was sick enough with the flu that I didn’t trust myself with any power tools! Hand stitching was enough to take my attention away from my achey head and other symptoms, but not so much that I had to really pay attention. I got to feel a bit productive, and that’s a terrific thing when you’re not feeling well.
Rather than press the dart in one direction or another, I chose to slice it right up the middle. This gives a cleaner feel to the inside – particularly as I don’t need to do anything to finish the fabric edges.
On to the sleeves. I lengthened the short sleeves and made them extra long. This way, I can actually pull them down to cover most of my hand while wearing them. That helps my hand mobility when I get up in the morning!
I gathered between the markings, and eased the sleeves into position. Then, I placed many, many pins in the gathered portion, and much fewer on the ungathered.
Sleeves set in flat.
I just folded the sleeve and bottom hems up an inch and stitched, but I chose to do a slightly different treatment for the neckline. I measured the edge, then cut a strip that length X 5″. With right sides together, I sewed the short (5″) sides together. This gave me a very nice little tube. At this point, I folded the tube WRONG sides together and pinned to the inside neckline.
Once I had the seam stitched, I then tacked the three layers of fabric down into the body of the neckline.
Now, how did the changes I had done to the pattern change the fit? Let’s see, shall we?
A new list of issues… horizontal wrinkles accross the fullest part of and diagonal wrinkles running from the side to lower center. Angled wrinkles from the side up to the bust – virtually following the angle of the bust dart on the side. But the bust point is in the right place, the sleeves look much better and it doesn’t turn into a sausage casing the instant it’s on my body!
We’ll call this one “Muslin 2″. It’s wearable as a pajama top, but still needs a LOT of work before it becomes a TNT for daywear. Back to the drawing board for this Sewasaurus!
There are still the bottoms to make. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount I needed when I purchased the snowflake fleece. So, I’ll have to be creative on getting a pair of sleep leggings and a robe out of the periwinkle blue!
’til next time!